The Ultimate Guide to Dog Health Review
Reviewer: Clayton James
Website: The Ultimate Guide to Dog Health
Have you ever been in the position of wondering if a problem with your Beagle warrants an expensive trip to the vet’s office? What you need is a solid grounding in canine medical basics to decide for yourself when your Beagle needs to see the vet. That’s exactly what this 240 page guide delivers.
The Ultimate Guide to Dog Health by Malcolm Fields is complete and detailed. It covers all of the serious (and not so serious) canine health problems with a strong focus on preparedness and how to take preventative action. It is chock full of step-by-step flowcharts to help you self diagnose your Beagle’s problems so that you can make informed decisions of whether he needs to see the vet and how urgently that vet visit should be. Each chart starts with a specific symptom and you simply follow the branches until you come to a recommended method of treatment.
The book is very detailed and knowledgeable but it has an easy to understand tone without being overly technical. What this meant for me was not having to learn a bunch of jargon like you would have to with a veterinary textbook. It’s very comprehensive and covers a tremendous amount of material. Here are just a few examples:
• Toothache and other dental problems
• Ear infections
• Parasites such as worms, fleas, and ticks
• Skin rashes and other irritations
• Breathing problems, coughing, and asthma
• Diarrhea and vomiting
• Serious ailments like cancer or liver problems
• Symptomatic alerts such as hair loss, lethargy, or behavioral changes
• And much much more!
Something that I found extremely important is that it teaches you to pick up on early warning signs of your Beagle’s potential health problems by interpreting his body language and through behavioral and physical changes. All of the information is backed up with full-color diagrams, photos, and illustrations. Also covered are quick grooming tips, proper dental care, and how to correctly administer medications.
The Ultimate Guide to Dog Health is a terrific bargain but they have made it even better by throwing in 4 additional books for free! They are:
- The Ultimate Guide to Dog First Aid…an incredibly useful resource for what to do in an emergency (it even includes the Heimlich Maneuver for dogs)
- 180 Gourmet Recipes for your Dog…great ways to indulge your Beagle’s taste buds
- 101 Ways to Spoil Your Dog for Under $10…luxuries-on-a-budget that you and your dog can enjoy together
- 20 Super Healthy Recipes for Your Dog…you’ll learn that health food for dogs can be quite tasty
In summary…I think this book is truly indispensable and is a must-own for all Beagle owners. It will give you great peace of mind as it helps you spot little problems before they become big ones.